Creamy, smooth, and rich Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes. A delicious side dish made using real potatoes mashed with homemade herbed butter, milk, and parmesan cheese. It is so easy to make using the Instant Pot and will be ready in just 20 minutes! It is the ultimate holiday side that can go with any dish.
I think we can all agree that mashed potatoes are one of the most popular side dishes in any part of the world. Well, if you are planning to make this soon, then you are in for a treat! This recipe levels up the classic by infusing it with parmesan cheese, garlic, and herbs. And let me tell you the result is just AMAZING!!
Making mashed potatoes have never been easier with this Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe. It would surely be your go-to recipe once you’ve tried how delicious and totally simple it is. Super creamy and rich with the melt-in-your-mouth smoothness, it is to die for! The best part is this recipe is absolutely mess-free as you'll only use one pot.
What kind of potatoes to use for Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes?
Starchy potatoes like Yukon Gold or Russets are the best variety for a fluffy, smooth, and flavorful mashed potato. On the other hand, you should avoid waxy and red potatoes as they have firmer flesh.
Yukon Gold is the top choice as it is naturally creamy with a rich texture and has a buttery flavor that is perfect for mashed potatoes. Russets have a fluffy and light texture and are easily mashed.
Tips and Ingredient alternatives in cooking Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- When buying potatoes choose the older ones as new potatoes are harder to mash.
- For easier mashing and fluffy mashed potatoes, you can use an electric hand-held mixer. It will also be easier to incorporate the herb mixture into the potatoes as well.
- We do not advise using an immersion blender or hand blender as it releases too much starch from the potatoes which results in having heavy and gluey potatoes.
- If you prefer a cheesier mashed potato, you may substitute parmesan with cheddar cheese.
- You may add more herbs like thyme or sage for a more earthy and bold flavor.
- Busy preparing other dishes? You can leave the mashed potato in the Instant Pot and set it on "Warm".
- To make this Instant Pot Mashed Potato vegan you can omit the cheese and use vegan butter or extra virgin olive oil in place of the regular butter.
To Serve and Store
Keep leftovers in an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat the mashed potatoes, place them in a covered microwave-safe container and heat them in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Stir well before serving.
You can make this recipe ahead of time and keep it in the fridge or freezer. Just add more butter when reheating.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot
- 1 kilo potatoes
- ½ cup butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup hot milk
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- Wash and peel the potatoes and cut them into quarters. Place them in the pot and pour about 4 cups of water (or enough to submerge them). Add salt and stir to dissolve.
- Close the lid and place valve into Sealing position. Turn the Instant Pot on manual high pressure for 8 minutes. The waiting time will be longer to allow the IP to build pressure.
- While waiting, make the herb butter mixture by adding butter, parsley and garlic into a small bowl and heating it in the microwave for 1 minute. Once melted, add the dried rosemary and mix them all together. Set aside.
- Once the pot says L000, press cancel and do a quick release. Once all pressure is released, carefully remove the lid. Drain the liquid from the pot.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes to your desired consistency. Then add the herb butter mixture, milk and parmesan cheese. Mix until everything is well blended.
Looking for more amazing Instant Pot dishes? Check out these recipes:
About the Author
Drey loves food and likes trying new things! She has been working with food bloggers providing recipe video content for years.